Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2016

Sanatan Sanstha allots work

Sanatan Sanstha and its fortress


Sanatan Sanstha has a vast ashram at Ramnathi, Goa. It can accommodate hundreds of sevaks at a time. Sanatan Ashram Ponda is virtually a well-stocked fortress and can sustain itself for about a month without the need for restocking. The ashram has also been constructed in such a manner that there is only one entry and exit gate. However, all floors can be reached through an internal corridor as well as a tar road from outside. All floors have convenient entry and exit points which can be used for defensive purposes as well as quick exit as per demands of the situation. An architect has spent considerable time and effort in designing it.

Different sevas at Sanatan Sanstha


Sanatan Sanstha has used intelligent organizational strategies which can put well-organized companies to shame. There are different sections operating within the Sanatan Ashram Ponda. I was given a detailed guided tour to each of the sections or vibhaags as they are referred to. Work is allotted as per the need of the sanstha and the ability of the sadhak. The main vibhaags are
  1. Publications
  2. Kitchen
  3. Upkeep
  4. Outside work
  5. Information Technology

The different vibhaags have sub-vibhaags; like publications department has three main sections; one dealing with newsletters (dailies, weeklies, fortnightlies and monthlies – published in different languages), another with publications of holy texts and one dealing with online content – publications mainly). Each of these vibhaags are run and managed by the sadhaks themselves. One person is in charge and others run the show. All these have modern equipment; for example the kitchen has a roti maker that can turn out more than 1000 rotis in an hour. Sadhaks have to devote a fixed amount of time daily in one activity.

How are my abilities judged?


Sanatan Sanstha, as part of its induction processes moves me through different vibhaags. I get to spend three to four days in each of them. A feedback is taken both from me as well as the vibhaag in charge. At the end of the process, a baithak (meeting) is held and my work allocation is decided.
I am under tremendous stress during the initial month as my family has not visited me. Hence, I am excused from any permanent work allocation. However, I am reminded about this on an almost daily basis. This creates more stress in me as I feel that I am a burden on the other sadhaks.
The wordings used by the sadhaks are so magical that they touch the heart. They use the feelings towards my family and slowly turn me against them.
Anyhow, after about a month at Sanatan Ashram Ponda, I am given a fixed time schedule. It consists of kitchen work. I am responsible for milling the flour on a daily basis. It takes about an hour but I feel a sense of responsibility and do it with utmost bhav towards my Guru; Dr Jayant Athavale. The work is routine and does not require any direct supervision, yet my supervisor checks on me every now and then and praises my work style in front of others. She is a very kindly person; she has been associated with Sanatan Sanstha since last 13 years.


The sense of attachment with the sanstha grows in geometric proportion to the work allotted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment