Pages

Tuesday 22 November 2016

The story so far at Sanatan Ashram Ponda

I have gone through many ups and downs since the last few months after landing at Sanatan Ashram Ponda. I was expecting to spend the rest of my life in pursuit of spirituality and service to my Guru, Dr Jayant Athavale, but frankly, things have been quite different. I do not realize it at that time; my mind is still controlled by Sanatan Sanstha and I still cannot think rationally.

a Hindu Ashram peace, tranquillity and spirituality
A typical Hindu Ashram

Positive thoughts about Sanatan Ashram Ponda


If asked about any positive points at Sanatan Ashram Ponda, I can still identify several. 
  • There are several sadhaks – followers of Sanatan Sanstha, who are seriously into spirituality. They are committed to this. There is nothing wrong about this. The ashram provides them a perfect place to practice. It provides a place to stay and also provides for some basic necessities of life like food. It is very peaceful.
  • Some of the occupants have bitter experiences and have nowhere to go. They had some personal experiences and wanted an escape from their past. Sanatan provides them this without asking any questions. Yes, they have to prove that they are serious in their spiritual efforts, but money can manage many things.
  • Sanatan Ashram Ponda is also a good place to learn Sanskrit and study our Vedas and Shastra, provided you draw your own inferences and do not depend on the meaning provided by the sadhaks.


Negativity at Sanatan Sanstha


Apart from the techniques of mind control practiced by followers of Dr Jayant Athavale, there are several negative issues. I may be labeled a shaitan by Sanatan but these issues need to be brought to the notice of normal Hindus. 
  • The first and the foremost is the worship of Guru. Hindu Dharma does not allow for Guru worship. Sanatan Sanstha, however, preaches this very actively. Dr Athavale is the center of attraction. Life at Sanatan Ashram Ponda revolves around him. Gurupoornima is the only festival celebrated at the ashram. Most of the satsangs, dharmavargs and religious discourses center around the importance of the Guru. In fact, this dominates all discussions to such an extent that we do not follow any significant religious activities.
  • Sanatan Ashram dictates your life; you have to follow their instructions. You have to obey them. People lose their independence. Sanatan controls all aspects of your life. You have to take bath in the manner they specify, you have to eat when and what they say. I am not even allowed outside food; I spend several days without food.  Sleeping patterns are dictated by them.
  • Sanatan controls the flow of information. Outside information is filtered. Communication channels with outside world are cut off. You cannot even speak freely with your family. Incidentally, when the family visits you, they forced to sit in a particular corner of the swagat kaksh. This was pointed out by my rakshak once I regained my rationality. We never discovered the reasons behind this.



My doctor has advised me to look at some positive aspects of my stay at Sanatan Ashram Ponda. This will alleviate the sense of guilt to some extent. It is difficult to identify any positive outcome of my association with Sanatan Sanstha – at least as of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment