Pages

Tuesday 8 November 2016

The initial days – Sanatan Ashram Goa

Sanatan Ashram – a safe sanctuary


After spending almost, a week at Sanatan Ashram, Devad, I reach Sanatan Ashram, Ponda – the main temple where my Guru, Dr Jayant Athavale resides. I can feel the Chaitanya of the place from far. I step down on the railway station and feel the presence of my Guru.
Sadhaks whisk me away quickly to the ashram and I feel enveloped by powerful positive vibes. I feel that I have reached a safe place. There are many sadhaks in the reception area; it is referred to as Swagat Kaksh but I am taken directly to a small room. The room has only two beds and soon another lady sadhak joins me. She introduces herself (will not disclose her name, but she plays a very important part in my experiences at the ashram).
I do not have any belongings with me; I have not taken anything from my home as per the advice of the Sanstha. A dress was arranged at Devad, so I have just two dresses. She arranges for some clothes; they are all sarees and other assortment; all ill-fitting.   Sarees are good as they don’t come in sizes and can fit anybody. I think about the saree collection I have left behind on the advice of Sanatan. I had plenty of good dresses and sarees.

Making myself at home – Sanatan Ashram Ponda


My coordinator (I will call her my rakshak; because that’s her role) sees that I am comfortable and have some daily requirements. She takes me on an extended tour of the ashram starting with the third floor. Sanatan Sanstha has designated the third floor as sleeping quarters. The five-floor high building has different sections but the most private one is the third floor. Once I am settled in and freshen myself, I am taken to the dining area where I take some food.
I meet the main trustee of the Ashram. I know him as I have met him earlier at Satara some years back when I had just joined Sanatan Sanstha. He had given a series of talks on the attacks on Hindu Dharma and Sanatan Dharma and how devotion to our Guru, Dr Jayanat Athavale can save us and the mankind. The office has several other persons; I don’t remember all of them but there is a doctor and a psychologist and a couple of saints. They enquire about my health and about my journey. After spending just 10-15 minutes on these topics, they change it very naturally and start talking about my family and a lack of response from them. One of the saint even comments that my family was expected to take drastic action against Sanatan Sanstha as they are well-known Sanstha-haters. They are surprised that no such action has been taken and no efforts made to talk to me and ask me to return. They show this as a lack of love from their side; a lack of understanding.


This is the first time that I think about the muted response from both my family and parents. They have urged me to return many times on the phone but even after 10 days, they have not visited me or come to meet me. My father, the one closest to me, has not even talked to me. This is their selfishness; this is a proof that they never loved me. Sanatan Sanstha has stood with me in these difficult times. My Guru, Dr Jayant Athavale has stood with me during such times.

No comments:

Post a Comment