Pages

Sunday 13 November 2016

What does Sanatan Sanstha teach you about Spirituality

An institution like Sanatan Sanstha which is engaged in the propagation of Spirituality should focus all activities on its core objective. It should be spending maximum amount and efforts on this and should ensure that its sadhaks also should do the same.
This is not so. My experience at Sanatan Ashram Ponda shows that we hardly spent any time on spiritual practices. The definition of spiritual practice is open for debate, but I feel it can be defined as performance of actions and activities for the sole purpose of cultivating spiritual development. Sanatan or rather its affiliate organization Hindu Janajagruti Samiti, lists chanting as the simplest spiritual practise.

Which activities constitute as spiritual practices


Sanatan Sanstha states that chanting is the simplest form of spiritual practice in this Kalyuga. Which, in turn, means that people like me who have forsaken the materialistic world should be spending the maximum time in chanting. It is not so; I hardly spend a couple of hours on chanting.
Now comes the spin doctor, Dr Jayant Athavale to my rescue. He says that any activity done with bhav can become a spiritual practice. Even if I brush my teeth with bhav, it is counted as spiritual practice. Other activities start getting defined by the sanstha. I cannot define an activity on my own. The list grows bigger and bigger till I activities I undertake at the Sanatan Ashram Ponda become defined as spiritual activities. Hindus are very religious and understand that spirituality and religion are related to each other. Hence HJS and Sanatan also brings in religion into this by making us chant a Diety’s name.

The sanstha undertakes different sevas at Sanatan Ashram Ponda. As any of the seva is defined as a spiritual practice, it seems that whatever I do is in the service of God.
Confused.
So am I. But during my stay there I did not doubt their word. I had no freedom to doubt their words. My mind was under their control and I trusted them blindly.

Collective sevas


Sanatan Sanstha also differentiated between self-service and service towards society. These are referred to as Vyashti Seva and Samashti Seva. They educate us that Samashti seva gives better results than Vyashti seva. Of course, they also benefit the most through Samashti seva. Otherwise where will they find free sweepers, cleaners, drivers, cooks and many others to do miscellaneous manual work at Sanatan Ashram Ponda. Of course, it is the sadhaks who do all this, and when it gets associated with spirituality and bhav, you get life-time free servants. Just what is needed by Dr Jayant Athavale.
Not all sadhaks are allotted this work. Persons staying outside are not required to “work” at the ashram. They are free to spend their time as they want. We, the occupants, who have left our homes and broken our relationships are made to do hard labor. All in the name of spirituality. Funny, isn’t it?

But, how can we complain, we no longer have control over our mind, we can longer take decisions on our own.

And, is there someone who can help us?

Broken Dreams and Broken Relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment